What is Fundamentals?
CrossFit Fundamental Program
All new members, regardless of fitness level or athletic background, must attend our CrossFit “Fundamental” Program. Our Fundamental Program consists of CrossFit’s Basic 9 fundamental movements while gaining knowledge of our philosophy warm-up and workout regimen at CrossFit Costa Mesa. We emphasize client safety, building a community and learning proper CrossFit terminology. We explain why CrossFit is known as the “Sport of Fitness”, and the importance behind the balance of “Intensity” and ‘Virtuosity”.
Why We Require Introductory Programs
Most movements used in CrossFit require a lot more attention to technique than you may be used to if your training background has been limited to the machines you see at “globo” gyms. CrossFit believes that no machine in existence can match a properly executed squat, muscle-up, kettlebell swing, or clean and jerk when it comes to developing strength, power, and all-around fitness. Since these types of movements are more complex than simply adjusting the a pin in a machine, you’ll benefit greatly from receiving some one on one or small group training to learn the fundamentals of CrossFit.
How does Fundamentals work?
Classes are offered 3 days a week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6:30am or 7pm (6pm on Fridays). You can start at any time and will begin to acquire a vast amount of education on the basic movements required of you to join our group classes. We mandate at least two full weeks of Fundamental classes, and this may vary based on when the coach feels you are ready to opt into our regular group program. The main goal of Fundamentals is for you to be able to learn and easily recognize all basic skills that we use on a daily basis at CFCM. This includes, but is not limited to: warm-ups, gymnastic and bodyweight movements, barbell movements, and cool-down tactics.
The first week is only $25, as we want to give you the opportunity to meet the coaches, check out the gym, and experience a few CrossFit Costa Mesa workouts before you committing anything too the gym for a full month. From there, you would begin a recurring monthly membership as you complete your Fundamental classes. At any time if you have questions about your membership or recurring monthly billing please contact Gillian (email@example.com)
Getting Out Of Fundamental classes
The Fundamentals coach will decide the a proper path for you to transition from fundamental classes to group classes. Most of the time, we encourage people to begin to integrate into our group program after two to three weeks of Fundamental classes, while still attending at least Friday’s Fundamentals class as well. Our priority is that you have learned and are able to easily recognize the Fundamental Movements, as listed HERE. We want to ensure that you are getting the best value and result out of your time at CFCM, and we regard the need for this beginning education highly. Once you are finished with Fundamentals, you can always come back and attend classes as you go to freshen up on movements as well. Regardless of which class you are attending, we guarantee you will get a great workout in!
If you decide after your first week of Fundamentals that it’s just not for you, no hard feelings, we won’t charge you any more (note: you must let us know that you’re not coming back). At CrossFit Costa Mesa, we do not require you to commit to a long term contract. Our memberships are month-to-month and you can cancel anytime. Please note however, that we do not offer refunds and your membership will be automatically renewed at the first of each month. Should you need to cancel for any reason, you need to notify you need to notify firstname.lastname@example.org before your next billing date.
If the Fundamentals class times do not work for you, or if you’d prefer working one-on-one with a coach, Private Fundamentals is also an option. The schedule and pace is up to you. It’s $200 for 3-4 one hour sessions, depending on the individual.
Start Fundamentals Now
Ready to finally get fit all while becoming part of an amazing community? Then sign-up today and please contact Gillian at email@example.com
Or, sign-up for your first week HERE.
Here are a few reasons we think our Fundamental Program is vital for our clients:
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn in a low-stress environment with one on one or small group attention from a coach. If you’re part of a small group, you’ll be with others at a similar fitness level so you don’t have to worry about being intimidated by being thrown right into a group class with our “firebreathers.” You’ll have a much easier time learning the movements in this environment.
- Your coach will be able to identify any pre-existing injuries or mobility problems prior to you beginning group classes, and will assist you in improving your flexibility or working around any limitations you have.
- You’ll learn all the movements necessary to complete the group classes we do on a daily basis. This is beneficial both to you and to other members. During group classes the coach will have time to refine technique on that day’s movements but will not have enough time to teach movements from scratch. If all clients possess a similar baseline of proficiency, the coach will be able to move throughout the class and make corrections as necessary, as opposed to focusing strictly on one member.
- You’ll learn how to do the movements properly from the beginning. That way you won’t have to go back later on and un-learn bad habits. By learning proper form and range of motion, you’ll maximize the results you get from your workouts while minimizing the risk of injury.
- You’ll build personal relationships with the coach and your fellow athletes from the beginning as you become part of our strong community atmosphere, increasing the likelihood that you will stick with CrossFit long enough to realize its benefits. You’ll be treated as a valued member, not just a paying customer.
During your classes you will receive instruction and hands-on technique work in the following areas:
- What is CrossFit? What is fitness? You’ll learn about the methodology behind CrossFit, what its goals are, and how to adjust CrossFit-style training to meet your personal health or performance goals.
- The basics of nutrition. We simply cannot overstate the importance of nutrition when it comes to improving your health and performance. If you eat poor quality food (or eat in poor proportions) you’ll undermine your efforts to perform during workouts, build muscle, burn fat, have more energy and mental clarity, improve your cholesterol and other bloodwork, and recover from your efforts in the gym. You’ll learn how to fuel your body for peak performance and to improve body composition.
- The “essential” movements of CrossFit—you’ll learn how to properly perform the squat, front squat, overhead squat, press, push press, push jerk, deadlift, sumo deadlift high pull, medicine ball clean, bench press, GHD sit-ups, snatch, clean and jerk, handstand push-ups, kettlebell swing, pull-up, box jump, double-under, thruster, rowing on the C2, and many others.
- How and when to scale WODs to your fitness level so you get the maximum benefit out of each workout.
Common Questions & Answers regarding our required Fundamental Program:
Q: I am in great shape. I can breathe fire and leap from tall buildings. I’ve lifted weights my entire life. Do I have to attend the CrossFit Fundamental Classes?
Q: After I complete the CrossFit Fundamentals Classes what’s next?
A: The coach will let you now when they feel that you are ready to begin the group program (the workout of the day). You will join the class time that best fits your schedule. The rest will be explained to you by the coach on staff.
Q: I was a member of another CrossFit Gym and I already took their Fundamental Movement/On-Ramp Program do I need to attend yours?
A: In these cases, contact Gillian at firstname.lastname@example.org and talk to her about your “CrossFit Specific” experience, if the gym you belonged to was a licensed CrossFit affiliate with accredited Coaches then we can let you try the gym and classes for a week and we will make sure the safety and movement cues are there and then you can join CrossFit Costa Mesa.
Schedule a time to come by the gym for a tour or schedule your CrossFit Fundamental Class Today!
To get the ball rolling with the Fundamentals process please contact Gillian at email@example.com